Marinduque a small yet fantastic island with a shape of a human heart floating on a clear blue sea, lives up to its name. It has one of the friendliest and most hospitable locals in the country.
Here are some of the noteworthy facts that you should know about this coastal province.
10) Marinduque is a fourth-class agricultural province and center for native pig propagation.
9) The province is one of the top cattle producer for Manila during the Spanish times.
8) It was said that Mt. Malindig is a favourite hunting ground of the late Pres. Manuel Luis M. Quezon.
7) Marinduque was declared a province twice, on 1901 (Republic Act No. 125) and 1920 (Republic Act No. 2280), respectively.
6) Six subspecies of birds are endemic to Marinduque, Amethyst Brown-dove (Phapitreron amethystina imeldae), Blackish Cuckoo-shrike, White-browed Shama (Copsychus luzoniensis shemleyi), Mangrove Blue Flycatcher (Cyornis rufigastra marinduquensis), Purple-throated Sunbird (Nectarinia sperata marinduquensis) and Mountain White-eye (Zosterops montanus gilli).
5) Marinduque is the home of eight (8) Intangible Cultural Heritage (ICH) of the Philippines (Pasion, Moriones Lenten Rites, Antipo, Pupuwa, Novicio, Putong, Kalutang and Morion Head Mask).
4) There was a steamer owned by the Philippine Insular Government named after the province, USC&GS Marinduque, that served exclusively in the Philippines as a survey ship in the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey from 1905 to 1932.
3) Marinduque’s claim as the ‘Heart of the Philippines’ is also contested by Mindoro, Masbate and Iloilo City.
2) Instead of using the demonym Marinduqueno or Marindukenyo, few locals prefer to use Marindukanon to address a more Filipinized demonym.
1) Marinduque is the only Mimaropa province with no fast-food chain like Jollibee and McDonalds.
If you have more trivia, feel free to comment it.
#MakeADifference: Kabayan, help us to stay up, help us to buy a video camera
Researched and consolidated by Jerahmeel Madrigal Laderas. Jerahmeel is a secondary teacher in Marinduque Midwest School. He studied BS Secondary Education in Marinduque State College. He is a geography master, musician and Naruto fan. –Marinduquenews.com